Workshop on cascade of care for MDR-TB/RR-TB patients
The specific objectives of this workshop were:
- to enhance scientific knowledge on the diagnosis, treatment and especially treatment adherence of MDR/RR-TB;
- to discuss country challenges in the management of MDR/RR-TB patients
- to share good practices and lessons learned in the management of MDR/RR-TB patients.
This dynamic and interactive workshop was structured by combining presentations on MDR/RR-TB diagnosis, treatment and treatment adherence with group discussions and group work on practice-based case studies, a moderated poster session, country presentations and a practical visit to the TB Outpatient department of the Centre for Tuberculosis and Lung Diseases, Riga East University Hospital (CTBLD, REUH).
Participants from Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Germany, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania and Spain attended this workshop.
- Liga Kuksa, the head of WHO CC Latvia was one of the co-lecturers of this workshop and presented side effects of new regimens, and active drug-safety monitoring and management as well as co-facilitated poster session and group work during the workshop.
- Evita Biraua, the head nurse of the TB Outpatient department of CTBLD, REUH presented the Latvian poster on treatment and care of MDR/RR-TB patients in outpatient settings and good practices/examples from Latvia in treatment adherence and support for the patients.
- Vija Riekstina, the head of the TB Outpatient department of CTBLD, REUH introduced participants to the organization of work of the Outpatient department, digital tools, and treatment adherence support for the patients.